Apr 24, 2007

Week 15

Previous Weight: 308 lbs
Current Weight: 305 lbs
Change: 3 lbs lost
Total: 55 lbs lost

Okay. Getting back on track now.

I was talking to my sister yesterday, and she described my comment last week as a "typical Virgo" thing. That I was looking at my weight last week as a failure, even though I was still down 2 lbs. And that the general attitude is "if you can't excel at it, why bother at all?" Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I can see that. The last time I really tried to lose weight, I got to around 300, hit a plateau, and just gave up. Didn't try to work through it, just thought oh well, and went back to my old habits.

I don't want to do that this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! Good for you. That's a very insightful realization about yourself...your sister must be really smart! (hee hee!) Seriously, though, you're right. It's important to look at where things have gone wrong before in order to get past it this time around.

I don't know if it's actually a Virgo thing, but that perfectionist attitude is definitely dangerous. The idea that you have to do it exactly right all the time is hard on us mentally. When you do have a slip-up (which we all do), it makes it SOOO much harder to get back on track.

For me, even the thought of "oh well, I already screwed up today--I'll try again tomorrow" is tricky. It leads me to believe that if I eat a crappy lunch, I've blown it for the day, so I might as well go ahead and get ice cream later on anyway. If i can learn to get back on track when i over-do it at one meal, i will still have done better over the course of the entire day. Not perfect, but good enough!

Amy B said...

Your sis is right, learn from your past. I think you are doing an excellent job. How many people do you know that lost 55 pounds? Whether you are losing 2 pounds or 5 pounds, you are still losing, and that is the main goal. Keep up the hard work!